Tuesday, April 19, 2011

1st Day of Work

So today was Monday and it was our first official day of service. I got up at 5 am because I wanted to take a walk to the town center before our 7:30 am departure to Manos de Jesus. A few of my group members joined me. We began our walk at 5:45 and returned at 6:30 am, just in time for breakfast. During our town visit, we saw school children attend church dressed in their school uniforms. This was surprising to me because this was not typical of the children back in the states (at least I was not aware of it). I definitely admired their faith and dedication to the church!!

Our breakfast was a typical American breakfast complete with eggs, toast, and fruit! However, the difference was the fruit was fresh and the jam flavors included guava and pineapple! Super delicious! We left for Manos de Jesus at 7:30 am. I was nervous to meet the residents. I wondered what they would think of us, if they wanted us there, or if they even needed our help???

The first image I have of Manos de Jesus was of a man walking alone. He approached our van as we pulled into the gates. As we got out of the van each one of us said, "Hi!" to him but we did not get much of a response from him. He simply smiled and continued walking alone. We then met Don Eduardo, the most gentle, kind, godly man I had seen in a very long time! Don Eduardo was the director of the facility and we all saw how much he poured his heart into the facility! We saw the care and love he had for each individual at the facility. He introduced us to each resident as they were lined up on the porch. We each shook each person's hands and smiled at them.

A few minutes later one of the residents said to one of the members (in spanish)," You come to help, but then you leave only after a week!" This broke my heart because it was true! We are only there for a week, but their problems don't go away when we leave. They still need us when we are gone. When I heard this, I knew what I needed to do. I NEEDED to make a difference in these people's lives! Some residents do not see family or friends for 10+ years. Their only human interaction involves the staff and us volunteers who only come periodically. After introductions we split off into our groups to work in various areas of the nursing home.

I volunteered to help the staff with cleaning. Another member and I swept and mopped a room adjacent to the physical therapy room. It took longer than expected because of the lack of materials but in the end, the room was cleaned and was ready to be used by the staff and residents for activities. We were then told to clean the stairs used for physical therapy. Once I finished, it was time for their meals so we walked, and wheeled the elders to the kitchen. We helped feed, distribute the food, and clean after the elders during meal times (this happened everyday). Almost half of the 50 residents needed help with their meals! I have no idea how the kitchen staff of 5 cooks, cleans, and feeds everyone! Nonetheless, the first day of service was amazing and by the time we left, I already felt we each made a connection with Manos de Jesus.


** I don't have any photos from the first day because we were not allowed to take pictures yet**

No comments:

Post a Comment